Sprouted lentils are very high in boosted nutrition. Eating them raw allows you to enjoy all of the benefits without destroying any by using heat. Some ingredients, like the Yampi (a form of starchy root like Yuca), and some of the veggies gained greater benefit by steaming them briefly for a short period. This does not diminish the nutrients and makes them more digestible. This is why I call this, "Rawlmost." Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cup of dry organic lentils
- (will make 3 cups of sprouted lentils in 2 - 3 days)
- Fresh water
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 2 small red onions
- 1 small yampi root (or yuca, or potato)
- 1 cup fennel root or 1/2 cup celery stalks
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp lime zest`
- 2 cloves garlic
- 7 leaves fresh oregano or 1 tbs dry oregano
- 7 leaves fresh culantro
- OR 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 large leaf fresh holy basil
- OR3 leaves basil (or 1 tsp dry basil)
- *1 tbs each: *
- garam masala
- 1 tsp each:
- coriander seed powder
- curry powder
- 1/4 tsp each:
- chili powder
- 2 - 3 days ahead of making soup, sprout lentils. (See: Sprouting Nutrition: How to and Why? Grains, Legumes, Seeds, Nuts -- or, buy organic sprouted lentils online.)
- After the sprouts have a good root on them, they are ready to use.
- 1 cup will be added to raw soup base
- 1/4 cup will be set aside for garnish
- 1 3/4 cup will be added to the finished soup.
- Bring water in a 2 tier steamer pot to a boil.
- Slice the carrots,1/2 cup of fennel root thin. Line the steamer basket.
- Break up the cauliflower and broccoli into fine, edible size pieces. Put into the steamer basket into a layer.
- Finely slice 1 red onion. Layer in steamer basket
- Slice the yampi root. Add as top layer in the basket.
- Put the basket in the pot and steam for 5 - 7 minutes, or until hardier vegetables ate slightly tender, but still firm.
- Separate the contents of the basket.
- All of the yampi root will be added to raw sauce . The remaining contents will be used as follows:
- 1/2 will be blended in the sauce. 1/2 will be added to the soup and used for garnish.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the steamed vegetables. Set aside for garnish. Put the remaining in a blender.
- Cut the core top off of the tomatoes and hand squeeze into blender. Add the remainder tomatoes.
- Put all remaining ingredients that have not been set aside into the blender. Blend all until smooth.
- Pour soup base into a large bowl. Blend in steamed vegetables and lentils.
- Either pour soup into a serving bowl, or wipe sides. Garnish top with veggies and remaining lentils
- Serve immediately.
By using a Vitamix you can blend the sauce well enough that the friction will slightly heat the soup base. If you use proper timing (finish the base when the steamed components are still hot) you can serve this soup warm.
©2016 This recipe was created in Costa Rica.
All of the food and equipment links that appear in this menu will take you to Amazon.com where I have carefully selected ingredients that I think are the best value for the price (and most are products I have used before). By shopping on Amazon, you will help support this blog and allow me to bring you more recipes. You will not be charged any extra fees! Thanks in advance for your support.
Better yet, please donate to my project! 🙂